Sunday 25 March 2012

Late WIPocalypse post

Finally got round to taking some more photos of my WIPs. I worked on this piece while we were on the cruise. 
I don't normally use Anchor threads, but I liked this space-dyed thread colour - 1344. I've got a few other skeins of different colours, and I'm playing around with the idea of doing more of these panels, perhaps using the design in different ways for cushion panels. More on this idea soon perhaps?

Since we've been home I've been concentrating on my Flower Fairy.
I suddenly realised just how close August is! By the time I get this done, I've still got to complete the quilt (adding this as the last square); then I've got to add batting and a backing fabric which I've yet to decide on. Then bind it all and add any extra hand quilting. I'm going to ask my friend (who is a far more experienced quilter than I am) for her advice on that part of it.

The rest of my WIPs are no further forward than they were last month! That's what comes of having a holiday!

And as a finale - for a change - something that I didn't do!

While we were in Souzhou we visited their Embroidery Research Institute. Their work is absolutely amazing. All worked on silk with silk threads! Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take photos inside, but DH and I fell in love with one particular piece of "art" - there is no other word for their work. Some of the pieces we saw were done by students, some by teachers and some by masters of their art. Some pieces were single sided - several portraits were on display which were photographic in their realism. Several were double sided - the picture is reversed on the back - both sides are sewn at the SAME TIME! And the other style were pictures with a completely different picture on the reverse! The most amazing was a lion's head with a tiger's head on the reverse! Again - both sides are worked at the same time, but it was so real - you could see each and every hair on the animals' heads.

We bought a piece which shows the Rainbow Bridge in the Humble Administrator's Garden in Souzhou, a place we visited later in the day. Although we didn't have the benefit of bright sunshine or spring flowers - it was still a beautiful place. Enjoy my photos of our embroidery, something I could never hope to achieve.
 The "Front" view.

The "Reverse" view. 

 Close ups of the two sides.

 Absolutely AMAZING work isn't it?

Better go now - my Flower Fairy is calling my name!

'Til next time
Sandie


7 comments:

Mouse said...

ohhh wow just stunning .. no other words can express how beautiful the work is ....
love the space dyed colour too :) love mouse xxxxx

Debbie said...

YOUR FAIRY IS SO PRETTY... CAN`T WAIT TO SEE IT FINISHED! I`M SURE THAT YOU CAN`T WAIT TOO!

Debbie said...

YOUR FAIRY IS SO PRETTY... CAN`T WAIT TO SEE IT FINISHED! I`M SURE THAT YOU CAN`T WAIT TOO!

Sandie said...

Thanks Mouse and Debbie. And yes - I can't wait for my fairy to be done - so much so that I'm working on it exclusively now! Not sure how much backstitch to do on it? Might just do the Fairy herself so that she stands out a bit more than the rose.

SoCal Debbie said...

The space-dyed piece is stunning! I love your flower fairy. She is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing the pic of embroidery of the bridge. Yes, it is amazing!

Wolfie said...

That is just GORGEOUS!!! wow...mindblowing for sure:)

Meari said...

Wow, that bridge is AMAZING! Pretty stitching, too.